Saturday, July 5, 2008

So You Think You Are Ready To Build That Dream Workshop?

If you are like me, at some point you ran out of room in the garage and started dreaming about your own workshop. Well, you are about to take an exciting ride. This is your dream, so make it count for all its worth.

Designing your dream shop can be exhilarating and frustrating all at the same time. I am sure you have this mental picture of what you want. The trick is to get it on paper. Take your time. Make 1/4 scale paper cutouts of all your current and proposed stationary tools. Using a 1/4 scale shop layout start arranging the tools in different patterns. When doing this, be sure to consider the area around each tool. You do not want to set a table saw in a position and then find out you cannot get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in position.

This process is probably going to tell you that your original estimate of the finished shop size just isn't big enough. I did not go through this step because I thought I was building a shop that I would never outgrow. Boy, was I surprised. With my addiction to buying new tools, I had a full shop in about 6 months. My shop kind of evolved instead of being designed properly.This is your final warning on size. Think carefully.

I believe that when it came to the actual construction I did it right. Two things were in my favor. I wasn't afraid to tackle the project, and I had a friend who was willing to help. Taking on a project like this is not that difficult once you realize that it's just basic construction. How difficult is it to build a box?

Before you buy the first piece of lumber, speak to your city's permit department. Rules and regulations differ. Luckily, in my city you are permitted to do all the work on your own property. A lot of people have had their dreams shutdown or postponed because they did not get the permit. Some cities may require architectural drawings while others will accept a sketch. I went the way of the sketch. If you are able to do your own work, costs will be greatly reduced, meaning more money for tools.. Next, contact the utility companies. The can find any underground utilities that may cause you a problem.

Now that you have the permit, and there are no utilities to worry about, let's start creating some cost estimates. I broke the building down to its parts. I went to our local big box store and created a cost sheet, the best I could. I next took this cost sheet to our locally owned hardware store. I told them what I wanted and showed them the estimate. The hardware store either outbid or met the cost from the big box store. I decided to use the local hardware store. I went with them just to keep the money in town, but other benefits arose during the process. When I was short on materials, the local hardware store delivered while I was at work and I would stop by on my way home and pay them. No big box store is going to do this.

Cement

Originally, I was going to pour my own slab. But, after estimating my cost, I determined that it would almost be as cheap to hire someone. Through my local hardware store I located a gentleman that gave me an excellent bid. Do not skimp on concrete, beams, or re-bar. Most of the money spent here will go into the ground, but this will be the foundation for everything else. After building the forms, digging for the beams, and laying the re-bar, the city inspector will probably want to put his stamp of approval on the project before the concrete is poured.

Basic wall construction

If you can use a framing square and a 4 foot level you can build this workshop. Once again you may want to talk to your city inspector concerning requirements for outside wall construction. In our area we use 16" centers on studs. How tall do you want the walls to be? I would suggest 10 foot. With 10 foot walls you will have plenty room to move plywood and long pieces of lumber with ease.

Attic and Roof Construction

There are several factors to consider when making a decision about attic and roof construction. Do you want storage upstairs? Are you going to have heat and A/C. Do you need to consider aesthetics or architecture? While looking for a truss type to use, I discovered one called an attic truss. This allows storage. One consideration, if thinking about an attic truss is the pitch of the roof. On the average sized home workshop a good attic truss will require at least a 6-12 pitch. This means that if your building is 24ft wide, the peak of the roof will be 6ft above the ceiling. Trusses are normally installed on 24inch centers. After the trusses are installed, the sheathing needs to be applied. This can be regular plywood or plywood with an application of some type of heat resistant material. If you are going to heat and air condition your shop, put some real thought into using the plywood with the heat resistant material.

Shingles Installation

Don't skimp when buying shingles and tar paper. These materials are what keep your shop dry. Please follow the manufacturer's recommendation when installing the shingles. If you are lucky like I was, I put up the walls, roof, and shingles during a 3 month period with no rain to deal with. The only problem we had was the heat. Applying shingles in the summer time is not fun. Do this chore early in the day or late evening.

Siding

There are too many different types of siding to consider that I cannot make any real suggestions on this one. I can tell you, we used a product called Hardiplank. This is a cement/fiber product that will virtually last forever or at least several lifetimes.

Electricity

This is one area where I am not going to make any suggestion that you perform this part of the project. You are going to have to decide if you have sufficient knowledge. Electricity is dangerous and it will KILL you if you make a mistake.

Windows and doors

Deciding on door locations needs to be done before the cement is poured. Let the contractor know where and what type doors are to be used. This will allow him to pour the cement so that there will be a depression in the cement at the door locations. This is required in order keep out the weather. I built my main entry door. It is a double door setup that is 6ft wide and 8ft high. I have no problem moving things in and out. I also installed a 12ftx8ft aluminum garage door on the opposite end. I should have used a normal one car width door. Too much space was wasted. Do you want natural light? If so, plan for a lot of windows on the north and south sides. Of course, the more windows used, the less wall space will be available for storage. I do not like having to look through drawers to find things. All my available wall space is peg board. I can see everything.

Interior

Setup of the interior is probably the most enjoyable part of this whole project. This is where you put your personal stamp on things. Make yourself comfortable because you are going to spend a lot time in your shop. Mine is equipped with central air and heat, running hot and cold water, cable television and internet access.

Now go and enjoy. If you have questions or comments, I am just an e-mail away. You can contact me through my website.

Skip Evans
Our goal is to reach the new woodworker that needs that extra push to realize that, Yes it can be done.
http://www.my-wooden-creations.com

No comments: